School Tours and Field Trips
Historic Rosedale is happy to host your next field trip! Your class can explore topics and connections to local, state, and U.S. history. We offer a historic and natural setting for all ages to enjoy through the preservation and interpretation of material culture, architecture, and natural landscapes.
We are here to bring history to life outside of books, television, and the classroom! We are pleased to welcome group field trips year-round.
A typical Field Trip Tour is approximately 2 hours. Please note Historic Rosedale is open to the public on Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 10:00 until 3:00.
The Field Trip Leaders will be expected to help the Historic Rosedale staff to keep the group organized, on-track, and assist with proper conduct.
We have found that groups of 20 – 25 works best. If your entire visitor total is more than 100 students, please work with our Tour Coordinator on options for accommodating this.
Our Field Trip Tour Offering
A Historic Rosedale Field Trip consists of four areas. Each area is addressed by a Historic Rosedale historic interpreter. The four areas you will visit are:
- Blacksmith Shop: Learn about the art of Blacksmithing, its importance to Historic Rosedale, and the long line of enslaved and freed African American Blacksmiths with ties to the site.
- Live Blacksmithing Demonstration Option: For an additional fee of $70.00, your group can arrange to have a live blacksmithing demonstration with one of our skilled Blacksmith. Subject to availability.
- House and Kitchen: Tour the 1815 house including the cellar kitchen and learn about the people and stories of Historic Rosedale.
- Gardens and Grounds: Learn the history of how this land was utilized, and how it has changed over 200 years.
- Lunch in the Pavilion and Bathroom Break: Each group will supply its own lunch. Chairs and tables are provided. Rosedale does have snacks and water available for purchase.
Costs and Ticketing Policies
- Student and Adult Tickets: $13:00 per person.
- A 7.25% sales tax for county and state will be applied to each ticket price.
- The live Blacksmith demonstration may be added at a flat rate of $70 (plus tax) and is payable at the time of invoicing.
- Historic Rosedale does not refund tickets for “No Shows” on the day of the field trip or group tour.
- In the event of a cancellation of the field trip the following will apply:
- Cancellation 30+ days prior to the field trip = full refund of all fees minus a 10% admin fee.
- Cancellation at 29 days or less of the field trip, no refund will be given.
- Refunds will be paid via check from Historic Rosedale and will be sent within one week of communication and cancellation.